Is Fresh Pet Good For Dogs?
What is Fresh Pet?
Fresh Pet is a brand of refrigerated, pre-made dog food that contains fresh ingredients like meat, vegetables, and grains. The food comes in rolls, loaves, and patties that have the texture of real food.
Benefits of Fresh Pet
Made with fresh ingredients
Unlike most traditional kibble that is processed at high temperatures, Fresh Pet claims to use fresh meats, vegetables, and grains in their recipes. This retains more nutrients and natural flavors.
Variety of proteins and recipes
Fresh Pet offers recipes made with chicken, beef, salmon, turkey, and more. There are grain-free and limited ingredient options too. This variety caters to many dietary needs.
Dogs seem to love the taste
The fresh, moist texture and smell of Fresh Pet is very palatable to dogs. The rolls and loaves can be sliced to create a tasty meal or topper.
Convenient pre-portioned meals
You don’t need to measure out portions with Fresh Pet. The rolls and containers are already sized for individual meals based on your dog’s weight.
Downsides of Fresh Pet
Fresh refrigerated dog food is significantly more expensive than traditional kibble. Large dogs with big appetites may cost too much to feed Fresh Pet exclusively.
High moisture content
The high moisture content of Fresh Pet means you have to feed larger volumes to meet your dog’s calorie needs. This may not be practical for some dogs.
Short shelf life
Once opened, Fresh Pet only lasts about a week in the refrigerator. You have to purchase it more frequently than a bag of kibble.
Risk of foodborne illness
There is an increased risk of foodborne bacteria in fresh dog foods. Proper handling and storage is essential for safety.
Is Fresh Pet ultimately good for dogs?
For most healthy dogs, Fresh Pet can be a highly palatable and nutritious part of their diet. Many dogs enjoy the taste and do well when transitioned properly. However, the high cost and moisture content may make it impractical as a sole meal source for larger breeds. Most pet nutrition experts recommend rotating or mixing fresh foods like Fresh Pet with some kibble for a balanced diet.
Here is some additional information to expand on the main points about Fresh Pet being good for dogs:
More on fresh ingredients
Vitamin and antioxidant benefits
The fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats in Fresh Pet retain more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants than highly processed dog foods. This can promote a healthier immune system and organ function.
Digestibility of fresh foods
Minimally processed fresh foods are typically more digestible than kibble. The natural fibers and moisture can improve gut health and aid regular bowel movements.
Choosing the right Fresh Pet recipes
Ingredient quality considerations
When choosing a recipe, look for those with ample animal protein as the first ingredient without excessive fat or salt. Avoid by-products, artificial preservatives, or fillers.
Special dietary needs
Those with food allergies may do better on a limited-ingredient recipe. Weight management recipes feature lower fat. Some recipes cater to sensitive stomachs.
Transitioning to Fresh Pet
Slowly transition over 5-7 days by mixing in increasing amounts of Fresh Pet to avoid digestive upset. This allows the gut microbiome time to adapt.
Monitoring for changes
Pay attention to appetite, energy levels, coat quality, and waste consistency when transitioning. Contact your vet if any concerns arise.
#FAQ #Update #AdditionalContent
1. What is fresh pet food, and how does it differ from traditional pet food?
2. Are fresh pet food options better for dogs and cats in terms of health and nutrition?
3. What are some popular brands that offer fresh pet food options, and what are their key features?
4. How do the caloric densities of fresh pet food diets compare to traditional kibble diets?
5. What factors should be considered when switching a pet’s diet to fresh food, and is it necessary to consult a veterinarian before making the change?
Understanding Fresh Pet Food and Its Health Benefits
We are constantly bombarded with various pet food options – kibble, raw, freeze-dried, grain-free, pâté, and more. The sheer variety can be overwhelming, often appearing unappetizing. When our social media feeds tout “fresh pet food,” curiosity naturally arises about these pre-cooked mixtures of real meat and vegetables delivered straight to our homes. Unlike traditional kibble, fresh pet food resembles the expensive, “chunky” canned varieties. It contains fewer or no preservatives and is stored in the fridge for freshness between servings. But is fresh pet food genuinely a healthier choice for our furry friends?
Defining Fresh Pet Food
Fresh pet food brands, often found in your local pet store’s fridge, have popularized fresh options for pet owners. Today, numerous brands offer subscription services where you create a dog profile, answer a questionnaire, customize delivery frequency, and receive freshly made pet food packed in dry ice. The term “fresh pet food” lacks a precise definition; it merely denotes pet food with fewer or no preservatives. It could be homemade with boiled chicken and plain rice or produced in a facility using recognizable ingredients, packaged without preservatives, and then frozen. For the brands listed here, we focus on commercially produced food cooked at low temperatures, comprising a mix of meats, grains, fruits, and vegetables.
Is Fresh Pet Food Superior?
Many fresh pet food brands market themselves as “human-grade” and claim to lack fillers. However, this doesn’t necessarily make them better than traditional pet food. Fillers in pet food, like grains or carbohydrates such as corn, soy, or wheat, provide nutritional value to your pet. Preservatives extend the shelf life and enhance the flavor and smell of pantry pet foods, typically undergoing quality-control testing by regulatory bodies. While the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) defines “human-grade” as suitable for human consumption, “feed grade” is suitable for animal consumption. The distinction can be largely marketing, as many feed-grade ingredients won’t harm animals. The caloric density of a diet matters more than marketing claims. Each service customizes portions, but assessing calorie intake involves more than portion size. Factors like weight maintenance, gain, or loss are crucial. Fresh diets tend to have a lower caloric density rate than kibble diets, similar to the difference between fresh and dried fruit. Pet food is measured in grams and kilograms for kilocalorie amounts, influenced by water content.
Consulting Your Veterinarian
When making significant dietary changes for your pet, consulting your veterinarian is wise. Different dogs process food differently based on their biological makeup. There is no one-size-fits-all solution for your dog’s meals. Fresh pet food diets are not inherently nutritionally superior; their suitability depends on the pet’s specific needs and the individual diet provided.
Popular Fresh Pet Food Brands
Here are some direct-to-consumer fresh pet food companies that have gained popularity:
1. The Farmer’s Dog: Offers freshly made, human-grade meals that pet owners could technically eat too. The company avoids “feed-grade ingredients” and sources responsibly from regional farms. Meals arrive frozen and must be thawed in the fridge before serving. Starting price: $2 per day.
2. Nom Nom: Employs a veterinary nutritionist to ensure recipes meet industry standards. Meals arrive frozen and are individually packaged for convenient storage. Starting price: $3 per day.
3. Ollie: Sources meats from the US and Australia and offers frozen meals. Meals can be stored in the fridge for up to 14 days once opened. Starting price: less than $2 per day.
4. Spot & Tango: Sells both fresh kibble (UnKibble) and fresh food. The fresh food is “human-grade,” while the fresh kibble is cooked at low temperatures and resembles traditional dog kibble. Starting price: $7 per week.
In conclusion, fresh pet food is a growing trend with potential benefits, but its superiority over traditional pet food depends on individual pet needs. Always consult your veterinarian before making dietary changes.
#FAQ #Update #AdditionalContent
1. What is Freshpet’s approach to making dog food, and how long have they been in business?
2. What are the key features of Freshpet dog food ingredients?
3. Has Freshpet dog food ever been recalled, and if so, when?
4. What are the different product lines and prices offered by Freshpet for dogs?
5. Is Freshpet dog food a good choice for feeding dogs, and how does it compare to other fresh food options?
Freshpet Dog Food Reviews
Freshpet Dog Food Review
Product Name: Freshpet
Product Description: Freshpet is a company that uses all-natural ingredients, no preservatives, and gentle cooking methods to provide fresh pet meals. Compared with many other dog food options, Freshpet is a premium, fresh meal option for dogs that has been around for 17 years. The company uses all-natural ingredients, no preservatives or chemical additives, and is prepared in company-owned kitchens in the USA. Our team rates dog food based on several factors, including variety, nutritional value, pricing, customer support, and more.
– Uses all-natural ingredients
– No preservatives or chemical additives
– Prepared in company-owned kitchens in the USA
– Pricing may be higher than some other options
– Uses only natural, newly harvested ingredients
– No artificial fillers, preservatives, or flavors
– Refrigerated products must be eaten within seven days of opening
– Includes real meat as the first ingredient
– Farm-raised meats include poultry, turkey, beef, bison, lamb, and fish
– Eggs and organ meats are also used
– Fruits and vegetables include carrots, spinach, potato, peas, cranberries, blueberries, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and green beans
– Some formulas include healthy whole grains like oats, rice bran, and brown rice
– Vitamins, minerals, and supplements include fish and sunflower oil
– Recipes use only US-raised, 100% farm-raised meats
– 96% of the ingredients are from North America, with 4% being non-domestic
– Recipes use all-natural ingredients with no artificial or chemical preservatives, BHA, propylene glycol, flavors, or colors
– Adheres to the (SQF) Program and (FSMA) standards for food safety
– Recipes are 100% complete and balanced and meet minimum standards
– Formulated and approved by Dr. Gerardo Perez-Camargo, the resident veterinarian and Head of R&D
– Founded the “Freshpet Nutrition Council,” a group of board-certified DVMs, DVNs, DACVNs, and PhDs who guide, supervise, and validate research
Has Freshpet Dog Food Been Recalled?
Yes, the company has issued recalls in the past. The most recent was in June 2022, involving one lot of Select Fresh From the Kitchen Home Cooked Chicken Recipe under recall for potential salmonella contamination. Prior to that, in June 2021, a single lot recall for potential Salmonella was issued for a single lot of Select Small Dog Bite-Size Beef & Egg Recipe.
Products & Price
Freshpet offers several foods for dogs, including wet foods and tasty treats. Prices vary depending on the product and size. Here are some of their product lines:
The Select line comes in both loaf form and shredded or bite-sized recipes. Some are grain-free, and others include grains, so owners have plenty of options. Rolls are available in 1.5 pounds and 5-pound weights.
This gently cooked line is an even more limited ingredient recipe and focuses only on what canines need. It offers grain-free and chicken-free formulas for sensitive stomachs or pups with allergies.
Freshpet Deli Fresh
Protein-rich and grain-free, this line uses antibiotic-free poultry and fruits and vegetables. It comes in shredded or roll form and is available in Costco stores.
These are complete, balanced meals using natural proteins. They are prepared and cooked in small batches to preserve taste and nutrition.
Spring & Sprout Plant-Based
This line focuses on plant-based formulas using cage-free eggs and wholesome vegetables.
These products are sustainably sourced and include humanely raised, vegetarian-fed, and GAP-rated poultry. They are sold at select specialty stores.
This brand makes two lines of doggy treats, including meat-heavy treats and chews.
Freshpet Custom Meals
Owners can create customized meal plans based on their pup’s unique needs and preferences. This option is available only through Petco.
Is Freshpet Good For Dogs?
Overall, Freshpet is an above-average choice for feeding your pup wet food. Ingredients are sourced from North America, and everything is cooked in company-owned kitchens. The limited ingredients make it easy to digest, and most recipes are high in protein and use real, named animal meats and organs. While it is a high-quality option, it may be pricey compared to some other fresh food services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Freshpet Cooked Or Raw?
These recipes are gently cooked, not raw. All pet foods use a steam cooking process.
How Long Is Freshpet Food Good For?
Products require refrigeration and are to be served within seven days of opening.
Where Can I Buy Freshpet?
These products are available through online retailers such as Amazon and Chewy and in pet and grocery stores around the country. Some products are only available through select retailers like Costco and Petco.com.
Can Freshpet Be Frozen?
These meals are not frozen during manufacturing, but owners may safely freeze them if they wish. However, consistency may change in the freezing and thawing process.
Freshpet vs Other Companies
Interested in seeing how Freshpet stacks up against other popular pet food companies? Comparison articles are available for you to see how Freshpet compares with other leading dog food companies.
Freshpet has many above-average qualities, including all-natural ingredients and a steam cooking technique that results in delicious meals. These refrigerated products tend to have higher than average protein, fat, carbs, and moisture content. Most recipes use real meats and organ meats. While some product lines are easy to locate and purchase at the grocery store, others may require more effort to find. Overall, Freshpet is a food you can feel good about feeding your pet, thanks to its limited, locally sourced ingredients and company practices that uphold an elevated quality standard.
The information provided in this article is for educational purposes only and should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. It is not intended to offer any legal opinion or advice or serve as a substitute for professional safety advice or professional care. Please consult your healthcare provider, attorney, or product manual for professional advice. Products and services reviewed are provided by third parties; we are not responsible for them, nor do we guarantee their functionality, utility, safety, or reliability.
Please note that HTML ta
#FAQ #Update #AdditionalContent
1. When did Dogs Naturally begin as a company, and when did it go public?
2. How many sub-brands and recipes does Freshpet produce for dog food?
3. Where does Freshpet manufacture its dog and cat foods?
4. What are some concerns regarding the ingredient quality of Freshpet Vital dog food?
5. What are some ingredient safety concerns associated with Freshpet Deli Fresh dog food?
Dogs Naturally, established in 2006 as a private company and later going public in 2014 with a fundraising of $164 million, has retained its original president and co-founder. The company, Freshpet, is known for producing moderately cooked, refrigerated dog food under six sub-brands offering a total of 41 recipes. Their manufacturing facilities for dog and cat foods are located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, while their treats are produced in co-manufacturing plants. Freshpet’s products can be found in various grocery stores and large retailers.
Freshpet Dog Food Reviews
In our Freshpet dog food reviews, we’ll assess each food line individually, focusing on the quality and safety of the ingredients used. Let’s begin with the following lines:
Freshpet Vital Dog Food Review
Package Ingredients for Vital Grain Free Beef & Lamb Recipe With Cranberries & Spinach
– Beef, beef liver, beef broth, lentil flour, lamb, egg, spinach, pea protein, pea fiber, natural flavors, cranberries, calcium phosphate, sunflower oil, vinegar, salt, carrageenan, potassium chloride, celery powder, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, biotin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, calcium carbonate, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate.
Overall, there are several concerns regarding ingredient quality:
– Moderately High Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates in this line average 14% on a dry matter basis, primarily from brown rice, oats, and sweet potatoes, which are high in starch.
– Excessive Added Vitamins and Minerals: The addition of vitamin and mineral premixes can lead to potential toxicities, especially vitamin D and copper.
– Unnamed Animal Ingredients: The presence of unspecified animal ingredients, such as fish oil, raises questions about quality.
– Seed Oil: Several recipes contain sunflower oil, which is a highly processed and inflammatory oil.
– Plant Protein: Plant-based protein sources are used, which are less ideal compared to animal sources.
Issues related to ingredient safety include:
– Moderately Processed: Some loss of active enzymes, vitamins, and phytonutrients due to processing.
– High Pesticide/Herbicide Foods: Ingredients like spinach, oats, peas, and lentils may contain herbicide residues.
– Carrageenan: Linked to intestinal inflammation and potential health effects.
– Rice: Concerns about arsenic contamination.
– Natural Flavor: Contains natural flavor, which can be low quality.
Freshpet Select Dog Food Review
Package Ingredients for Freshpet Select Home Cooked Chicken Recipe
– Chicken, cranberries, carrots, pea protein, pea fiber, ground oats, natural flavors, vinegar, carrageenan, cassia gum, salt, potassium chloride, spinach, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate.
Concerns about ingredient quality include:
– Moderately High Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates in this line range from 11% to 28% on a dry matter basis, primarily from brown rice, oats, and sweet potatoes.
– Excessive Added Vitamins and Minerals: The use of premixes can lead to potential toxicities, especially for vitamin D and copper.
– Unnamed Animal Ingredients: Presence of unspecified animal ingredients like fish oil.
– Contains Plant Protein: Plant-based protein sources are utilized.
– Ingredient Safety: Issues related to processing, pesticide/herbicide residues, and GMO ingredients.
Freshpet Deli Fresh Dog Food Review
Package Ingredients for Deli Fresh Grain Free Chicken Recipe With Spinach & Potato
– Chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, spinach, potatoes, eggs, pea protein, carrageenan, natural flavors, pea fiber, salt, potassium chloride, inulin, fish oil, celery powder, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate.
Ingredient quality concerns in this line include:
– Moderately High Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates average 15% on a dry matter basis, primarily from potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas.
– Excessive Added Vitamins and Minerals: Potential for toxicities, especially with vitamin D and copper.
– Unnamed Animal Ingredients: Presence of unspecified animal ingredients like fish oil.
– Contains Plant Protein: Utilizes plant-based protein sources.
– Ingredient Safety: Issues related to processing and pesticide/herbicide residues.
Freshpet Homestyle Creations Dog Food Review
Package Ingredients for Freshpet Homestyle Creations Natural Beef Recipe
– Beef, beef broth, beef liver, pea protein, pea fiber, natural flavors, salt, cultured dextrose, choline bitartrate, vitamin E.
[Remaining content not relevant to the main review has been omitted.]
#FAQ #Update #AdditionalContent
1. What is Freshpet Select’s approach to pet food ingredients and sourcing?
2. How many flavor varieties are there in the Freshpet Select range, and what are they designed for?
3. What are the key ingredients in Freshpet Select’s grain-free recipes?
4. What is the shelf life of Freshpet Select dog food, and how should it be stored?
5. What are some concerns and considerations to keep in mind when considering Freshpet Select dog food?
Since launching in 2006, Freshpet has grown into a major player in the dog food industry, with roughly 1 million pet parents serving Freshpet products to their pups. Freshpet focuses on producing pet food with high-quality, locally sourced, fresh ingredients. All meat, fruits, and vegetables used in Freshpet’s foods are grown in the USA and delivered fresh daily to Freshpet’s kitchens in Bethlehem, PA. Freshpet Select is the company’s core line, which includes a range of refrigerated rolled and roasted dog foods made with all-natural, fresh ingredients.
Freshpet Select Flavors
The Freshpet Select range features 16 flavor varieties, including 9 rolled varieties and recipes catering to small dogs, large dogs, and dogs with sensitive stomachs.
Freshpet Select’s grain-free recipes may be a good choice for dogs who are allergic to grains or need less in their diet. These recipes contain potato, pea protein, and spinach, which are excellent secondary sources of protein. Both Freshpet Select Grain-Free variations meet the AAFCO profiles for maintenance (adults).
Fresh from the Kitchen
At the time of writing, Freshpet Select Home Cooked Chicken Recipe is the first and only flavor in the Fresh from the Kitchen Range. This fresh food is packed with texture and color, with shredded chicken, , and making up the first 3 ingredients. Pea protein and pea fiber round out the top 5. This Freshpet Fresh from the Kitchen is suitable for maintenance (adults) under the AAFCO nutrient profile.
Roasted Meals Range
Freshpet Select’s Roasted Meals range includes 2 chicken recipes, one of which is . Both foods are high in animal protein — chicken and chicken liver are the first 2 ingredients. The Roasted Meals Grain Free Chicken Recipe contains pea protein and pea fiber as grain alternatives. Ground oats are listed as the third ingredient in the grain-inclusive recipe, with rice bran and eggs rounding out the top 5 ingredients. Freshpet Select’s Roasted Meals range meets the AAFCO nutrient profile for adult maintenance.
Freshpet Select Multi-Protein
The Freshpet Select Multi-Protein recipes contain multiple meat sources that provide a variety of health benefits. All Multi-Protein products include salmon, which is rich in omega 3 and 6 for skin and coat health. Freshpet Select’s Multi-Protein range meets the AAFCO nutrient profiles for all life stages.
Freshpet Select Foods for Small Dogs
Freshpet Select’s small dog range is formulated to have the correct levels of protein and fat for small dogs. It’s also made with smaller pieces to reduce the risk of choking and help with digestion. Freshpet Select’s Bite Size and Multi-Protein small dog foods meet the AAFCO nutrient profile for all life stages. The Chicken & Turkey with Cranberries & Spinach recipe is suitable for maintenance (adults).
Other Freshpet Select Variations
In addition to the product ranges above, Freshpet Select also includes other standalone products, like the Freshpet Select Puppy Recipe and the sensitive stomach and skin formula. The Freshpet Select rolled puppy food consists of chicken, carrots, and brown rice. Freshpet adds EPA and DHA omega 3 fatty acids to its puppy recipe to help pups grow up healthy and strong. The Sensitive Stomach & Skin: Steam Cooked Chicken Recipe is rich in fiber, containing chicken, pumpkin, and brown rice for easy digestion. Vitamin A and omega fatty acids are added to improve skin and coat health.
Why Wag! Likes Freshpet Select
Here are a few reasons why Freshpet Select might be the right choice for your mutt:
Recommended by Our Vet Team (with One Catch…)
Dr. Georgia Jeremiah, recommends Freshpet Select to her clients — but there’s just one catch. “This food is very high in fat,” says Dr. Jeremiah. So if your woofer needs to watch their weight, you may want to look elsewhere or feed smaller portions according to your vet’s recommendations. Despite the high fat content, Dr. Jeremiah says Freshpet’s minimally processed foods “may be a good option for dogs with certain health conditions, such as food allergies or digestive issues.”
No Meat Meal or Fillers
One of the top reasons Wag! likes Freshpet Select is its dog foods contain no meat meal — all meat in Freshpet Select’s recipes is all-natural and high-quality. A lack of fillers and meat meal means Freshpet Select may be better for than other dog food brands.
All Freshpet Select products are steam-cooked to retain as much nutritious goodness as possible. All foods are cooked to FDA and USDA standards and go through 20 quality and safety checks before shipping.
Locally Sourced Ingredients
Another reason we like Freshpet is for its transparency about where its ingredients are sourced. Freshpet states on its website that the brand sources all its vegetables, fruits, and meat from the USA. All Freshpet Select’s food is refrigerated rather than canned or frozen, adding to its overall quality.
Concerns & Considerations
Now that we’ve covered some of the pros of Freshpet Select dog food, let’s take a closer look at things to consider before purchasing:
Some Controversial Ingredients
The ingredients lists of many Freshpet Select dog foods include “natural flavors,” which usually consists of low-quality ingredients used to enhance flavor. A lack of transparency about these natural flavors may concern some pet parents. Freshpet Select dog foods also contain , a thickening agent made from edible seaweed, which has caused controversy. Some suggest carrageenan is toxic to the digestive tract and can contribute to and even colon cancer in dogs. Sodium selenite is another controversial ingredient in Freshpet Select dog food. It’s an essential mineral but is toxic in high doses and is potentially more harmful than other chemical forms of selenium.
More Expensive than Traditional Kibble
Like most fresh and refrigerated pet foods made with high-quality ingredients, Freshpet Select dog food is pricier than other dog foods on the market.
Shorter Shelf Life than Other Dog Foods
Because it’s refrigerated, Freshpet Select has a shorter shelf life than most dog foods. Opened bags and rolls of Freshpet Select food will stay good for up to 7 days in the fridge.
What Pet Parents Say About Freshpet Select
Here are some comments from pet parents who have tried Freshpet Select:
“I have been feeding my dog Freshpet chicken dog food for approximately six months. I have had a repeated 15 minutes situation where the food spoils within 24 hours of the bag being opened. Our latest experience is that this food has made our dog very very sick. I suggest know when use this product. We will never use it again.”
“I have been feeding my dog Freshpet chicken dog food for approximately six months. I have had a repeated 15 minutes situation where the food spoils within 24 hours of
the bag being opened. Our latest experience is that this food has made our dog very very sick. I suggest know when use this product. We will never use it again.”
Freshpet Select Recall History
Freshpet Select has been recalled twice in its history.
The brand’s was on June 13, 2021, due to potential salmonella contamination. The recall was explicitly for one batch of Freshpet Select Small Dog Bite Size Beef & Egg Recipe Dog Food with a sell-by date of 10/30/2021. The lot was due to be destroyed but was shipped to customers. Pet parents were advised to stop feeding this food to their dogs immediately and contact Freshpet for a refund. There were no reports of illness or injury due to this recall.
Freshpet Select’s was on June 17, 2022, again for potential salmonella contamination. The recall was for a single batch of Kitchen Home Cooked Chicken Recipe (4.5-pound bag) with a sell-by date of 10/29/2022. Pet parents with this product were advised to stop feeding it to their dogs and dispose of the food. They were also advised to contact Freshpet with the item’s sell-by date and UPC code. There were no reports of illness as a result of this recall.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Freshpet Select:
1. Do you need to cook Freshpet Select dog food?
No, you don’t need to cook Freshpet dog food. Despite its name, Freshpet Select dog food is steam-cooked. The food also undergoes microbial testing by Freshpet’s quality assurance team to check for bacteria and parasites.
2. What’s the difference between Freshpet Select and Freshpet Vital?
Freshpet Select is Freshpet’s core line of dog food products, made with fresh, high-quality ingredients. Freshpet Vital is a freshly made, 100% non-GMO alternative to Freshpet Select.
3. How long does it take for Freshpet Select dog food to go bad?
Freshpet Select usually expires within 7 days of purchase. However, you should check the sell-by date on the packaging for the exact date that your dog’s food will spoil.
4. How does Wag! determine paw ratings for dog food?
Our editorial team conducts independent research when choosing which foods to feature and how to rate them. Our paw ratings are largely based on the ingredients and nutritional content of each food.